Even when you have leftovers for dinner as we did last night, it’s nice to add something fresh to the menu. Some leftover pollo alla caccciatora was on the menu for supper yesterday and I wanted to bring something fresh to the table. Earlier in the day, I found some great tomatoes at the market and thought of a salad I often enjoyed while growing up.
4 or 5 ripe, yet still firm, tomatoes
Salt to taste
3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp dried oregano
4 or 5 leaves fresh basil rolled and cut into strips
1 small ice cube
- Depending on their size, cut 4 or 5 tomatoes in quarters or eighths.
- Sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Drizzle with the olive oil.
- Add the oregano after rubbing it in your palms to release the flavor.
- Add the basil.
- Toss to coat.
- Add 1 small ice cube and refrigerate for at least an hour. The ice blends with the juices from the tomatoes to extend the dressing.
Toss before serving.